No-Till Farming 101

From The Tropics To The Farm

The winning entry from an Oregon college student in the Phoenix Rotary Equipment Ltd. conservation tillage essay contest explains how no-till can lead to healthier soils around the world.
As I sit here at my desk, I find myself not in the countryside of eastern Oregon where my family raises dryland wheat and barley, but rather in the vast city of Quito, Ecuador.
Read More
Frankly Speaking

Let's Pay Farmers to No-Till

While U.S. Department of Agriculture officials have been bragging about funding nearly $290 million in renewable energy efforts since the start of the Bush administration, most of the investment has gone to bioenergy and biomass ventures. In fact, much of their comprehensive energy strategy to help farmers reduce high energy costs is simply being promoted without offering any new economic incentives.
Read More

Learn Plenty From These No-Till Experts

45 top-notch no-till professionals will cover all aspects of this cropping system during the 14th annual National No-Tillage Conference being held Jan. 11 to 14, 2006, in St. Louis, Mo.
A super lineup of no-tillers, researchers, suppliers and educators will share their best tactics, tips, tricks and techniques during the mid-January National No-Tillage Conference to help you no-till more profitably in 2006. Offering an extraordinary mixture of new, traditional and controversial ideas, they’ll zero in on what you’ve told us are your specific no-till wants and needs at this annual gathering of the no-till clan.
Read More
WhatIveLearned-Dec-1.jpg
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

Get Involved With Continuous No-Till

These two no-till veterans recommend it to build organic matter and improve soil health while relying on precision ag to make it work.
Back in 1996, we made a commitment to farm more land without hiring any full-time labor. Thanks to a shift to continuous no-till, precision farming and more efficient equipment, we’ve surpassed our goals.
Read More
Joel-Myers2.jpg

Finding No-Till’s Weakest Link Is Essential

Having just one problem in a no-till system is enough to cause serious problems and it can happen at any time — even after 20 years of no-tilling.
When you think about being directly involved with saving a natural resource as significant as the Chesapeake Bay, it’s hard not to get excited. That noble thought might be enough reason all by itself to really hard sell continuous no-till systems, including cover crops and rotations. And when you can see clearly that no-till makes farming more profitable — in addition to the big-picture environmental equation — you can start to sense that we’re onto something, as they say, that’s really big.
Read More
Rotation-Strategies-Critical-1.jpg

Rotation Strategies Are Critical

Keeping your options open by rotating with three or four entirely different types of crops are paying dividends.
Limited rainfall and plenty of warm chinooks moving east off the nearby Rocky Mountain range in late winter create an environment in which properly managing moisture is essential for Alberta growers.
Read More

Top 9 Tips Offered For Boosting No-Till Fields

A past winner of the No-Till Innovator Award and owner of HyMark Consulting in Martinsville, Ohio, offers the following tips for maximizing your no-till yields.
Your no-till planter setup can depend on your conditions and equipment. Talk to others who are no-tilling successfully and do your homework, including research on the Internet.
Read More
Little-sprayer.jpg

Crop Value Rather Than Top Yield Matters In This No-Till Operation

What this husband and wife team saw immediately with no-till was that they had more money in the bank at the end of the year.
Our shift to no-tillage started after we attended a Top Farmer Crop Workshop at Purdue University in 1989. We were told about the big gains that some of the early no-till innovators were getting by seeding soybeans with a no-till drill rather than in 30-inch rows. It seemed like a good system to consider.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

Cover_NTF_September_2024.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings