No-Till Farming 101

What-Ive-Learned-August-2.png
What I've Learned from No-Tilling

It All Started With Time Management

Thanks to all the fertility available in low-cost chicken litter, this veteran no-tiller is producing corn for 80 cents per bushel and growing doublecropped milo for only 60 cents per bushel
We have a lot going on at one time on our sixth generation southwestern Missouri crop and livestock farm. We milk 100 Holsteins, manage 200 Red and Black Angus crossbred beef cows, background the yearlings and grow all the feed we need on 1,200 acres of ground.
Read More

Why It Pays To Boost Air And The Water-Holding Capacity In Your No-Tilled Soils

Fighting problems with surface soil compaction, this Ohio farmer was about to back away from no-tilling until he found a solution that has worked well for 15 years.
Just about every no-tiller I’ve ever met would agree that at some point you start to wonder if you were really smart to move away from the “safety” of conventional systems.
Read More
Frank Comments

More No-Till Is A Must

When it comes to the future of the planet, Rattan Lal doesn’t beat around the bush. “Increase no-till farming practices across the planet or face serious climate, soil quality and food production problems in the next 20 to 50 years,” says the soil scientist at Ohio State University.
Read More

No-Till Slashes Costs, Helps You Expand

After economics got this father-and-son team into no-till, they found many other benefits.
When you look at our operation today, it’s difficult to believe that my dad, Eugene Berry, was a big fan of moldboard plowing. In fact, I even bought a new tractor and plow myself as recently as 1985. We were still plowing corn stalks, chiseling and field cultivating soybean ground until 1990.
Read More
Frank Commnts

Why No-Tilling Will Pay

Compared to conventional tillage, U.S. Department of Agricultural economists say, corn growers who follow a crop residue management (CRM) program not only minimize soil and chemical runoff but can sharply reduce costs.
Read More

Do The Math: No-Till Saves Money

Myron Wehr asks questions. Most recently, he’s asking about the right fertilization program for his 1,900-acre farm in New Waterford, Ohio, and the several hundred acres he no-tills and harvests for neighbors. So he’s hosting an Ohio State University research project comparing his regular nitrogen program with fall and spring applications, both broadcast and incorporated, of manure and nitrogen. The results favor incorporated manure.
Read More

No-Till And Cover Crops Stretch Both Ends Of The Growing Season

When vegetable processors saw no-till yields were consistent and harvesting conditions were better than in conventionally-tilled fields, they came around to this veteran no-tiller’s way of thinking.
We've been no-tilling for nearly 20 years, but the history of conservation on our vegetable farm goes back to the mid ’60s. That’s when we first walked away from the moldboard plow.
Read More
Von-Holten-11.png

Never Stop Learning About No-Till

Continuing to gain more knowledge is probably the single most important idea you can use to stretch your no-till budget.
Believe it or not, my grandmother’s garden was the initial trigger that got me started with no-till. Back in the early 1990s, grandma moved to town about the time that I rented the 290-acre family dairy farm.
Read More

Top Articles

Current Issue

Cover_NTF_September_2024.jpg

No-Till Farmer

Get full access NOW to the most comprehensive, powerful and easy-to-use online resource for no-tillage practices. Just one good idea will pay for your subscription hundreds of times over.

Subscribe Now

View More

Must Read Free Eguides

Download these helpful knowledge building tools

View More
Top Directory Listings